Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Finding Your Howl

Jonathan Flaum's article titled “Find Your Howl” tells two stories. One of these stories is about a wolf who has been in captivity for so long that he has forgotten how to howl. So, he sets out on a journey to find it. In the end, he ends up howling without even thinking about it and finds his pack that he belongs with.

This story is about finding who you are. However, it indicates that to do so, you must pay a price. We must spend time on our own and go through an eye-opening experience. We must experience something that will allow us to find our one true voice, to find where we belong. This story is symbolic of the fact that to find joy and happiness, we must first experience suffering. This reminds me of a quote I once heard:


3 comments:

  1. Short but thoughtful analysis, and I liked the video with the commentary. Good use of the imagery along with the dialogue. I also enjoyed the Thoreau quote you chose, having never heard it before. I like the images you chose with the footprints in the sound following the quote's mention of being lost. Even though your video was pretty short also, the images helped drive home the point and made it a more enjoyable watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this analysis, and along with Vincent, I really enjoyed the Thoreau quote you decided to use. Very descriptive, which allowed me to better understand the points you were making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soothing voice, the footsteps in the sand, the quote. It's all so beautifully done. Kudos my man.

    Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete